Are you on the lookout for some strange animals? Why not start with something really cute and adorable? We have all heard of armadillos – those big armored animals (you will recognize if you see one) but have you ever heard of Pink Fairy Armadillo? Pink because it is pink (sometimes, less pinkish and more of brownish and yellowish) but yes, pink! This armadillo is pink (not entirely though). Fairy? We don’t know why it is called fairy but it definitely doesn’t have wings or halo. It is simply cute. Honestly, the creature is very weird. In this article, let us learn some Pink Fairy Armadillo facts and find out more amount this amazing animal with incredible fashion sense. But before we start, let us quickly look at some important facts:
|Scientific Name||Chlamyphorus truncates|
|Life Span||5 years to 10 years|
|Lifestyle||Solitary, fossorial, nocturnal and subterranean|
|Size||3.5 inches or 90 millimeters to 4.5 inches or 115 millimeters|
|Skin Type||Hard shell|
|Color||Pale Rose or Pink|
|Habitat||Dandy plains and dry grasslands|
|Primary prey||Ants, plant material and worms|
|Predators||Dogs (especially domestic dogs)|
|Litter size (average)||1|
|Special characteristics||Large front claws, hard shell, shielded head, butt plat for compacting dirt|
|Conservation status||In 2006, it was put on ICUN’s Red List and was categorized as near-threatened. In 2008, it was moved to the category ‘data deficient’.|
Now let us begin…
Interesting Pink Fairy Armadillo Facts: 1-5
1. Pink Fairy Armadillo is an armadillo species. It is smallest of all known armadillos.
2. Known by the name – Pichiciego, it is found in Central Argentina. Its habitats include scrubby grasslands, dunes and sandy plains.
3. Their body length, excluding their tail, ranges between 90 mm and 115 mm.
4. Of all armadillo species, this is the only armadillo, whose dorsal shell is totally separate from its body. It is connected to the body with only a thin membrane, which runs right along its spine.
5. The pink color of the shell comes from the underlying blood vessels, which show through the shell. It is the blood in the blood vessels that create the pale rose or pink hue.
Interesting Pink Fairy Armadillo Facts: 6-10
6. The shell is actually fragile and pretty flexible. This means that the shell is not used as a protective armor. Scientists think that the shell is more for thermoregulation.
7. The color of the shell can actually change depending on the environment in which the animal is put it. Based on the environmental factors, irrigation of blood into the blood vessels can actually increase or decrease and thereby lead to change in color.
8. When more blood flows into the shell or the carapace, the temperature of the creature’s body falls and draining blood out of the shell helps the Pink Fairy Armadillo to retain its body heat.
9. Beneath the carapace or the shell is silky fur which is yellowish-white in color.
10. Now, the pink and white combination may sound weird in the dessert setting because those colors can attract predators. Pink Fairy Armadillo however, is subterranean and barely stays above the ground for a few moments. So, the pink and white is just fine.
Interesting Pink Fairy Armadillo Facts: 11-15
11. This armadillo is actually a wonderful burrower or digger and remains 6 inches underneath the ground. It is such an excellent digger that it is often said that it is a sand-swimmer just like the famed sandfish (which is actually a lizard).
12. Weirdly, the Pink Fairy Armadillo doesn’t really dig through sand. It actually digs through comparatively firm earth. The reason for it being such an efficient digger is that it actually has enormous front claws. The claws are so big that it can barely walk on any hard surface.
13. This armadillo is one of the very few mammals out there that doesn’t have visible external ears.
14. This armadillo is strictly nocturnal. It is very elusive and can be rarely seen on ground.
15. The armor of the Pink Fairy Armadillo has 24 bands, allowing the mammal to easily curl up and take the shape of a ball. One really interesting Pink Fairy Armadillo fact is that at the rear end of the animal, its armor is flattened.