One of the most stunning galaxies hanging around in deep space is the Cartwheel Galaxy. It is incredibly beautiful with a stunningly bright core and equally beautiful ring that makes it look like a cartwheel. Of course, that’s not everything about the galaxy. Let us learn a few interesting Cartwheel Galaxy facts and find out about its structure, its features and of course, its location, alternative names etc. Ready? Let’s begin…
|Galaxy Name||Cartwheel Galaxy, MCG-06-02-022a, AM0035-335, ESO 350-40, PGC 2248|
|Galaxy Type||Ring Galaxy and Lenticular Galaxy*|
|Striking Feature||Resembles a wagon wheel and hence its name|
|Discovery||Discovered in 1941 by Fritz Zwicky|
|Distance from Earth||496 million light years or 150 mega parsec|
|Diameter||150,000 light years|
|Mass of Galaxy||Between 2.9 and 4.8 billion M☉ where M☉ means solar mass that is, mass of our Sun|
* A Lenticular Galaxy is something between a Spiral Galaxy and an Elliptical Galaxy. It appears like a fading Spiral Galaxy but its composition and other features appear similar to that of an Elliptical Galaxy.
Cartwheel Galaxy Facts: 1-5 | Location, Discovery, General Features
1. Cartwheel Galaxy is a deep space or deep sky galaxy that is southern constellation known as the Sculptor.
2. Sitting at an approximate distance of 496 million light years, the galaxy has a diameter of nearly 150,000 light years, making it slightly larger than our own Milky Way Galaxy.
3. It was Fritz Zwicky – a Swiss astronomer – who discovered the galaxy in year 1941
4. The galaxy is moving away from us at a very high speed of 9,050 kilometers per second.
5. With a mass of anywhere between 2.9 billion M☉ and 4.8 billion M☉, the galaxy is spinning at a high speed of 217 kilometers per second.
You May Also Like: 20 Interesting Sombrero Galaxy Facts
Cartwheel Galaxy Facts: 6-10 | General Features
6. The galaxy has a distinct bluish ring encircling the bright inner core.
7. Between the bright inner core and the outer bluish ring are many stars that can be seen only in ultraviolet spectrum.
8. Various images of the Cartwheel Galaxy captured by astronomers have revealed that more distant and faint galaxies are present around the Cartwheel Galaxy, near Sculptor Wall.
9. They all (together with Cartwheel Galaxy) form a behemoth galaxy cluster structure that extends of billions of light years outwards.
10. Cartwheel Galaxy is one of local universe’s brightest source for emitting ultraviolet light.