Garlic Health Benefits Facts: 11-15
11. Combating Diabetes: Indian scientists at IICT have figured out that eating garlic can help to not only helps to reduce triglyceride levels but also reduces blood glucose levels. In addition to that, the scientists also found that garlic helps to increase insulin sensitivity. The tests were not conducted on humans but on lab rats and the results were positive. Source
12. Yeast Infection Reduction: Whether on accepts it or not, yeast infections are just as embarrassing as they are stressful. Garlic naturally fights yeast infections and scientific studies state that Candida infections can effectively be fought using fresh garlic extracts. Also scientific research has shown that garlic is also effective against candida vaginitis. One thing of note here is that garlic should be consumed not applied on infected area. (Source, Source)
13. Prevention of Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease: Dementia is a neurodegenerative disease and Alzheimer’s Disease is a type of dementia. Garlic has S-allyl-cysteine – a bioactive compound that is known for being neuroprotective and hence, is a good option for preventing dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. In addition to that garlic has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are known for prevention of neurological deterioration. (Source, Source)
14. Cold Sore Annihilation: Herpes Simplex Virus is what is responsible for causing blisters or cold sores. These are really painful and attack really sensitive areas like nose, chin and lips. These blisters can burst and that can be super painful. Double whammy? Yes, cold sores are contagious by nature! Garlic is known to have powerful antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can collectively treat and prevent blisters. Unfortunately, not enough scientific evidence is present to backup this.
15. Effective Against Common Cold and Asthma: Though we call it common cold, it is really pathetic. Asthma, we all know, is really bad. An age-old practice of ancient India to treat these conditions was to heat up garlic and mustard oil and use the oil to massage chest, throat and nose. This special oil is known for clearing up chest congestion due to common cold. Currently, scientific evidences have been found that hypersensitivity related to asthma can be delayed using garlic and that it is also effective in treating something as annoying as common cold. (Source, Source)
Garlic Health Benefits Facts: 16-20
16. Prevention of Heavy Metal Poisoning: There are several heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury etc. that are not good for our body and can kill us. They should not be present in our body even in trace quantities. Scientists have dug evidences through experiments on laboratory rats that administering garlic orally can reduce heavy metal levels. A separate study also found that pickled garlic is far more effective when it comes to lowering levels of cadmium present in body. Guess what? Pickled garlic is super popular in India since…, we don’t know how long!
17. Kidney Infections and UTIs Treatment: A pathogen called P. aeruginosa is responsible for colonizing the walls of the urinary tract and also leads to kidney infections and urinary tract infections (UTIs) of recurring nature. Studies have found that garlic prevents the growth of this particular pathogen. In another study it has been found that garlic is also effective in prevention E.coli growth in the urinary tract. (Source, Source)
18. Takes Care of Eyes: Scientific studies have proven that garlic consumption can effectively lead to reduction of intraocular pressure. In addition to that, studies have also revealed that garlic can help in prevention of keratitis – an eyesight threatening condition caused by microbes – simply because of its antimicrobial properties. In another study conducted on laboratory rats, scientists have found that retinal cell apoptosis caused by lead can be prevented using garlic juice. In all cases, it is necessary to consume raw garlic prior to breakfast as cooked garlic loses much of its properties. (Source, Source, Source)
19. Oral Pathogen Annihilation: Periodontitis and dental caries are caused by several pathogens. These pathogens are killed by the active compound allicin that is produced once garlic is cut or crushed. Scientists used garlic extracts as mouthwash and found it an effective way of combating oral pathogens. In addition to that, scientists also say that toothpastes that have garlic extracts are key to prevention of dental caries. (Source, Source, Source)
20. Improves Fatty Liver: Fatty liver is not a good thing. Excessive fat deposition on liver can kill a person. Scientists have conducted experiments and found that S-allylmercaptocysteine found in garlic can help to ameliorate liver injury and antioxidative properties of garlic oil help people against non-alcoholic fatty liver. (Source, Source)