In our article on garlic fun facts, we clearly omitted the garlic health benefits facts. In this article we will cover them. Trust us, after having read this article, you will definitely want to add garlic to your diet unless of course you belong to the Jain community who will simply sight religious beliefs to completely eliminate this herb from their diet forever irrespective of the health benefits. Eventually, the choice will be yours. So, let’s begin…
Before we jump on to the garlic health benefits facts, let us study two tables. The first table will give garlic’s classification while the second table will give the nutritional information on garlic. Sounds good? Great! Let’s get started!
Scientific Classification of Garlic:
|Binomial Name||Allium sativum|
Nutritional Information on Garlic (1 cup serving (100 grams)):
|COMPONENT||NUTRITIONAL VALUE||% of DAILY VALUE (DV)|
|Total Fat||0.5 g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.1 g||5.5%|
|—Pantothenic acid||0.596 mg||12%|
|—Vitamin A||9 IU||1%|
|—Vitamin C||31.2 mg||52%|
|—Vitamin E||0.08 mg||0.5%|
|—Vitamin K||1.7 µg||1.5%|
Okay, now that we have the necessary information, let us jump on the garlic health benefits facts list that we intend to share here.
Garlic Health Benefits Facts: 1-5
1. Thromboembolism Prevention: Thromboembolism is a condition where blood vessels get clogged or obstructed by blood clots that detached from some other place and were carried to a different location by the process of circulation of blood. Indian scientists have conducted a study and found that consuming 10 mg of raw garlic every day prior to breakfast continuously for two months can effectively prevent thromboembolism.
2. Blood Sugar Regulation: Kuwaiti scientists claim via an experiment on laboratory animal models that consumption of raw garlic (as opposed to cooked garlic) helps to reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels significantly. This in turn prevents atherosclerosis (hardening of artery walls) by hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol). 3-4 raw garlic cloves a day will do the trick.
3. Bone Health Improvement: In two independent studies conducted, the following results were found:
- Garlic oil suppresses bone resorption induced by ovariectomy. Study
- Diallyl Disulfide present in garlic is responsible for suppressing enzymes that degrade matrix and hence prevents bone damage. Study
4. Bad Cholesterol Lowering: In experiments conducted by American scientists, it has been found that:
- Supplement of aged garlic extract given to hypercholesterolemic male humans helps in reduction of LDL or Bad Cholesterol by up to 10%.
- Garlic helps in inhibiting cholesterol synthesis in liver cells of lab rats.
- Water soluble garlic compounds helped inhibition of cholesterol synthesis anywhere between 20% and 60% as opposed to lipid soluble garlic compounds.
5. Blood Pressure Stabilization: Extracts of mature garlic is known for having ‘S-allyl cysteine’ (aka alliin) – a bioactive sulfur compound. When garlic is cut or crushed, alliin is converted into allicin. Studies have found that consumption of allicin helps to reduce systolic pressure by 10mmHg and diastolic pressure by 8 mmHg. Once garlic is heat-treated (cooked), this allicin is destroyed quickly. Hence, consuming raw garlic helps to consume allicin and hence, reduce and stabilize blood pressure. Study
Garlic Health Benefits Facts: 6-10
6. Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: Via several studies, scientists have determined that garlic is capable of preventing almost every known cardiovascular disease. It has been observed to decrease serum triglyceride, lipid and LDL. It has also been found to decrease aggregation of platelet and also increase the activities of antioxidants. All these activities effectively thwart off cardiovascular diseases and also fights atherosclerosis. (Source, Source)
7. Cancer Prevention: It is a known fact that oxidative stress might be a factor behind cancer. Garlic’s diallylsufide is known for inhibition of oxidative stress. At the same time, selenium content of the food is also charismatic as it can fight cancer, prevent mutation of DNA, prevent metastasis and also prevent uncontrolled proliferation of cells. Chinese scientists have conducted clinical trials on various cancer patients and have proven that garlic reduces tumor formation chances by as much as 33%. They have also found that stomach cancer has been reduced by as much as 52% usage of garlic. (Source, Source)
8. Solving Intestinal Ailments: A healthy digestive system is really important. Scientists have noted that garlic has the ability of differentiating between good gut bacteria and bad gut bacteria that are present in our intestines and that it is capable of destroying enterobacteria – a harmful one. They have also conducted tests and concluded that garlic is very effective against infections that are caused by H. pylori. (Source, Source)
9. Combats Oxidative Stress: We have already mentioned that diallylsulfide present in garlic is known for combating oxidative stress. What we didn’t mention that there are several water-soluble organosulfur compounds present in garlic and these compounds combat risks of atherosclerosis, reduces inflammation and prevent damage of DNA caused by stress due to oxidation. Garlic has high antioxidant properties that allows it to scavenge and destroy free oxygen radicals that are responsible for causing various heart diseases. (Source, Source, Source)
10. Immunity Boost: Do you know what antioxidants do? They do not only reduce oxidative stress but are also responsible for flushing out various toxins from our body. In both ways, antioxidants are responsible for prevention of mutation of DNA and disruption of functions of our cells. Scientific research states that phytonutrients presents in garlic are strong antioxidants and that they also help to improve various types of immune cells that are present in our body. Source