Fascinating Sperm Whale Facts: 21-25 | Sperm Whale Fun Facts
21. While Orcas or Killer Whales are known for attacking and eating Sperm Whales, the opposite is also true. Even adult male Sperm Whales are known for attacking Killer Whales but not for eating the Orcas but only to compete for food.
22. Though there are no records, scientists believe that the Sperm Whales and Giant Squids (even Colossal Squids) are eternal enemies. This notion comes from the Giant Squid sucker cups scars observed on the skin of a Sperm Whale.
23. Sperm Whales usually swim at a speed of 5 kilometers to 15 kilometers an hour. However, when needed, they can ramp up their swimming speed to 35 to 45 kilometers per hour. They can maintain such speed for nearly an hour.
24. Sperm Whales usually live up to 70 years. Males in particular usually do not attain their full size until they reach the age of 50 years.
25. Sperm Whales do not generally attack people and usually retreat when they see a ship. However, there are records in history which tell about Sperm Whales attacking boats. According to some scientists, that kind of aggression towards humans comes previous memories of large-scale whaling and that these beasts attack to take revenge. Others say that such attacks are purely accidental.
Did you know that over 1,600 Sperm Whales were examined from all across the world? The examiners tested the mitochondrial DNA that comes only from the mother. It turns out that all of today’s Sperm Whales came from a single female that used to live tens of thousands of years ago. The researches named that female as Eve!
Fascinating Sperm Whale Facts: 26-30 | Sperm Whale Fun Facts
Did you know that the loudest sound produced by a Sperm Whale ever was recorded off Northern Norway? A single click reached 235 (dB re 1 μ Pa) above water surface. That’s the sound pressure that a Saturn V rocket creates at a distance of 1 meter. This is the reason why it is hypothesized that Sperm Whales can stun or kill their prey using sound!
26. The heart of a Sperm Whale can weigh up to 125 kilograms. That’s nearly the weight to two average adult human males!
27. In the whole world, Sperm Whales have biggest head. They also have the biggest brain (among alive or extinct animals) on Earth. They are the largest of the toothed whales in whole world and they are also the largest toothed predators in whole world.
28. The flukes or tail lobes of Sperm Whales are really thick and large. Proportionately speaking, they have the largest flukes among all cetaceans. These flukes are really flexible. Sperm Whales lift their flukes out of water when they start their feeding dive.
29. Sperm Whales are known for fertilizing the ocean. They defecate and the material then floats up to the water surface where the defecated material is dispersed. The dispersed material is then consumed by phytoplankton.
30. Did you know that a beached Sperm Whale corpse can violently erupt? This happens because after a whale dies, the decomposition of internal organs lead to formation of gases that keep building up and eventually rip through flesh in a powerful burst.
Did you know that the novel Moby Dick is actually based on two real-life Sperm Whales? One of those two was responsible for ramming and sinking the ship called Essex and the other one was an albino adult male that was named as Mocha Dick.
That completes our list of fascinating Sperm Whale facts and Sperm Whale fun facts. In case we have missed something important or you just want to add something more to the list, feel free to drop comments.