In our last article on facts about elephants, we mostly concentrated on generic information about their habitat, eating habits, reproduction etc. We really did not focus on the unusual facts that really make this massive animal interesting in real sense. Let us now focus of 30 such fascinating and fun facts about elephants. You may already know some or perhaps all of them but consider this a nice refresher.
Fun Facts About Elephants: 1-10
1. Did you know that apart from the Neanderthals and humans, elephants are the only living beings on this planet that have proper death rituals? Isn’t that pretty amazing. They actually dig shallow graves for their dead and cover the bodies with branches and dirt. They even mourn for days.
2. Not just that, particular elephant can actually show severe depression signs if it happened to be very close to the deceased elephant.
3. While elephants maintain death rituals for their herd members they also pay same respect to any lone elephant which ends up dying alone.
4. Elephants also tend for their sick and try to revive other peers who are on death bed. For sick, members of the herd will usually help them stand and bring food and water. For those on death bed, the herd members will do the same. Also, once an elephant dies, other members of the herd will try to revive that elephant by giving food and water for some time.
5. Elephants are extremely intelligent. This intelligence comes from their massive 5 kg-brain which is full of complex folds. Of all land animals, elephants have the maximum number of complex folds. In case you didn’t know, number of folds in a brain is an indicative of intelligence.
6. Elephants are known to routinely display learning abilities, playfulness, self-awareness and cooperation. They can also use several tools. They have compassion, humor and grief as well.
7. When it comes to remembering and tracking multiple object in 3D space, humans are easily outwitted by elephants, thanks to their highly developed hippocampus (it is a region of brain), which gives them excellent spatial and emotional awareness.
8. There are various reports of elephants displaying altruism. In other words, they actually show selfless concern for other animals. According to various reports, elephants have been often spotted helping distressed dogs even though such acts have come for high costs.
9. Their massive ears are not just for keeping them cool or just a proportionately big body part. They are blessed with excellent hearing abilities to. They are capable of listening the trumpets of other elephants even at a distance of 8 kilometers or 5 miles.
10. Elephants are really scared of bees! Yeah, we are speaking about those tiny flying insects that are known for making honey and delivering really painful stings. Oh yes! They are also afraid of ants.