In this article of small intestine we will learn about the very crucial part of our digestive system. That’s the place from where most of the nutrients in the food we consume enter our blood stream and is then circulated all over the body. There isn’t much we can do to take care of our small intestine from outside but the food we eat is vital for its well-being. Now, without wasting time, let us take a look at 30 amazing small intestine facts. We are sure you will be amazed.
Interesting Small Intestine Facts: 1-10
1. There are three parts of the small intestine. These three parts are ileum, jejunum and duodenum.
2. Most interesting of small intestine facts is that it is so named not because it is small in size but because it has a small width.
3. If we consider the length of the small intestine, it is actually massive. The small intestine is 6 meters long, which is about 20 feet!
4. This whole length is tightly folded inside the abdominal cavity and connects to the large intestine.
5. Of the three parts of the small intestine, the duodenum is actually the first part. The last part is the ileum which connects with large intestine.
6. The first part, that is the duodenum connects to the stomach. The food from the stomach first enters the duodenum.
7. The food from the stomach enters the duodenum through an opening which is known as pyloric sphincter.
8. Once inside the duodenum, the food them moves through the small intestine through a wave-like movement or contraction or narrowing of the muscles. This movement is known as peristalsis.
9. As we said earlier, the majority of the food we eat is actually digested in our small intestine. Very small amount is digested in the rest of the digestive system.
10. The food inside the stomach is very acidic. This acid is neutralized inside the small intestine.