For some of us, it is delicious. For some others, it’s not so delicious. But, barely did we know that guava is actually a super-fruit. So, whether you like it or not, munch down on a guava and let your body heal from inside. Well, we don’t intend to be one of those boring enlightened fellows spreading around wisdom and so, let us just start with our guava facts list and find out what this fruit is capable of doing for us. Shall we?
Amazing Guava Facts: 1-5
1. These delicious fruits are mostly grown in tropical and sub-tropical areas of the globe. They are native to Central America, Mexico and northern parts of South America. The botanical name of guava is Psidium guajava (lemon guava) and belong to the family Myrtaceae.
2. Different varieties of guavas are present but they don’t come under one species. They belong to other species and sometimes other genera. For example: Acca sellowiana (“pineapple guava”). The most commonly found and eaten guavas are called the “apple guavas”.
3. Though they grow well in tropical and sub-tropical regions, they can withstand semi-arid and humid regions very well and can temporarily adjust to cold but not for longer time.
4. These perennial plants (the trees which live more than 2 years) bear many fruits during the season. The size, flavor, aroma, composition of seeds etc. vary from plant to plant and its surroundings.
5. The flesh may be white, pink, red or yellow. There are many seeds in the fruit which are mostly concentrated in the center.
Amazing Guava Facts: 6-10
6. Guava can be considered as an underrated fruit. We say this because it is one of the superfoods and more specifically “super-fruits” (superfoods are the foods which have almost all the nutrients and help in preventing diseases and prolonging life).
7. So, you have this question, “why is it called a super-fruit?”. We will answer your question. It is called super-fruit because it has many vitamins and minerals but low fat and calories. This is why if you consume good number of guavas (too much is too bad) you will become thinner and leaner. This is a healthy way of cutting down that fat of yours.
8. These fruits contain polyphenolic (an antioxidant) and flavonoid compounds which help in preventing cancer, infections, aging etc. Yes ladies, you heard us right. Next time you go to market to buy some anti-ageing products, make sure you buy some guavas!
9. It also contains a lot of dietary fiber which helps in saving the colon mucosa from toxins and cancerous chemicals by reducing the duration of contact between colon and these toxins and chemicals. Oranges also help prevent colon cancer in the same way.
10. It helps in treating constipation too! The fiber content present in one fruit covers 12% of DRI of fiber and added to this, the seeds, if chewed or swallowed, works as laxatives! What more do you want from a fruit?