Psychological disorders can be really ugly but some can actually give you a good laugh at times when you learn about them for the first time. We really do not intend to insult anyone here but it is just that there are indeed some syndromes and disorders which sound unrealistic and impossible. Unfortunately, they do exist and they are screaming testament of how complex human mind can be. In this article on 20 weird psychological disorders and syndromes, we try to explore some of the little known syndromes which you possibly never heard of. Some may actually make you laugh.
Weird Psychological Disorders and Syndromes: 1-5
01. Boanthropy – It is a psychological disorder where a person believes that he/she is a cow or an ox (gender specific disorder) and starts living a life of a bovine. It is related to another psychological disorder called Lycanthropy where a person believes that he/she is a wolf. Stories of were-wolves might have stemmed because of these handful of people who suffered from Lycanthropy. Sufferers of Boanthropy can be called as were-cow.
02. Stendhal or Standhal Syndrome – It is a psychosomatic illness. When a mentally healthy person is bombarded with a lot of beauty, he/she experiences this syndrome. The symptoms may range from rapid heartbeat, dizziness, confusion to hallucinations. It mostly happens to tourists and is mostly triggered by masterpieces, natural beauty.
03. Jerusalem Syndrome – Here too, a mentally healthy person irrespective of his/ her religion, race etc. become psychotic after entering Jerusalem. Similar to Jerusalem Syndrome is the Paris Syndrome. However, in Paris Syndrome, Japanese are the people who get more effected.
04. Stockholm Syndrome – This syndrome is not as conspicuous as other syndromes. It is only seen when the sufferer gets abducted. When the sufferer gets abducted, over time they become sympathetic and even loyal to the abductor and actively help the abductor in their activities. An example which many would know is the Disney princess Beauty of the “Beauty and the Beast.” There is something called as “Lima Syndrome” which is exactly opposite of the Stockholm Syndrome. Here the kidnapper becomes attached and sympathetic to the victim.
05. Dr. Strangelove Syndrome – One of the sufferer’s hands behaves on its own accord. It carries on functions like unbuttoning, manipulating tools etc. It is also called as “Alien Hand Syndrome.”
Weird Psychological Disorders and Syndromes: 6-10
06. Diogenes Syndrome – This syndrome is seen mostly in elderly. It is a behavioral disorder where the person neglects himself, hoards his place with animals or garbage and lacks shame. It is also called as “Senile Squalor Syndrome.”
07. Kleptomania – This disorder is known to many. The person suffering from this disorder steals anything and everything from something as small as a pin to something as big as an electron microscope (well they try to steal at least). Another interesting thing is many people doesn’t even know that they have this disorder, they don’t know that they are stealing.
08. Cotard’s Syndrome – Popularly known as the living dead syndrome, the person believes that he is dead and has no existence or his body is decaying, his blood putrefying etc. It was discovered 100 years ago but it was scientifically accepted as a disorder only in 2007.
09. Synesthesia – It is a neurological phenomenon in which arousal of one sense triggers the stimulation of another sense organ. In this way, the person can taste abstract objects or smell music or simply can relate things which cannot be related by a normal person,
10. Capgras Delusion – This is related to Schizophrenia. The person suffering from this disorder believes that his/her spouse or a family member is replaced by another person who is the replica of that family member or spouse. The person can recognize others perfectly well.