Thailand is a country bustling with life. It is a land of incredible beauties and it is an abode of baffling oddities. In this article on 20 interesting Thailand facts, we are going to learn about this incredible nation that has all the ingredients desired to baffle you, make you fall in love and inspire you. So, let’s waste time no further and get started….
Interesting Thailand Facts: 1-5
1. Let’s start with Bangkok. It is one of the most startling Thailand facts you are going to learn. Do you know the full and official ceremonial name of Bangkok? The full name is “Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit”.
2. The meaning of the full name stated above is: “City of Angels, Great City of Immortals, Magnificent City of the Nine Gems, Seat of the King, City of Royal Palaces, Home of Gods Incarnate, Erected by Visvakarman at Indra’s Behest.”
3. Hell yes, Hinduism is at the roots of Thailand but despite this, Thailand is Buddhism-major country where 95% of the citizens of the nation practice Buddhism.
4. Did you know that Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia which was never colonized by the Europeans?
5. The name of the country in Thai language is ‘Prathet Thai’. The literal translation of the name is ‘Land of the Free’. Well, that’s a very fitting name considering that it was never colonized.
You May Also Like: 20 Crazy Japan Facts You Will Love
Interesting Thailand Facts: 6-10
6. Thailand was once known as Siam. Yes, you guessed it right. Siamese cats originated from this country. Originally there used to be 23 different variants of Siamese cats. Today there are only 6 different variants.
7. Talking of Siamese cats, in a Thai wedding, if you gift a pair of Siamese cats to the bride, it will be considered as good luck.
8. Thailand is home to some of the most dangerous serpents you can find on Earth. One of them is the dangerous King Cobra while another one is the reticulated python. Did you know that King Cobra is world’s longest poisonous snake while reticulated python is world’s longest constrictor? The longest reticulated python ever found was a whopping 33 feet long.
9. Here is one of the most bizarre Thailand facts: Red Bull actually originated in Thailand back in 1976. It went by the name Krating Daeng. It then moved out of Asia and in order to suit the tastes of the Western folks, the drink was modified into Red Bull.
10. One of the creepiest aspects of Thailand is the “Bridge Over the River Kwai”. That bridge is the part of the railway line that connects Burma and Siam. It is said that some 80,000 people died while making the bridge.