In our last article on mango fruit facts we didn’t cover all the facts. In this article we however intend to cover a different set of mango fruit facts that you might enjoy. Some of you may already know these facts but consider them as a refresher. For others, these facts may just come in handy.
Interesting Mango Fruit Facts: 1-5
1. Mango tree is a flowering tree. The flowers of this tree are small and have 5 petals. The flowers are mostly white. However, don’t be surprised if you see pink flowers.
2. The mango fruit is available in various shapes and sizes. Even the colors differ. The colors may be green, yellow, red or orange.
3. The color of a mango fruit is never an indicator of being ripe. Even a green mango can be ripe.
4. Mango leaves are considered to be toxic and hence, feeding cattle and other grazing animals with mango leaves is not a good idea.
5. A particular shade of yellow dye was made in India by feeding cattle a small amount of mango leaves. The cattle’s yellow urine was then harvested and used for making dye.
Interesting Mango Fruit Facts: 6-10
6. This practice of dye making has been outlawed in India because of two reasons. First, mango leaves can be toxic to cattle. Second, cows are considered to sacred in India.
7. Tropical countries as well as sub-tropical countries produce 20 million metric tons of mangoes every year.
8. As mentioned in our previous mango fruit facts article, India is the largest mango producer in world. Second position goes to China. Indonesia and Pakistan take the third place.
9. Thailand is fourth in mango production, followed by Nigeria in 5th position. 6th spot goes to Brazil and 7th is taken by Philippines.
10. There are 1000+ known mango cultivars. All these cultivars came from just two mango seed strains – the monoembryonic and the polyembryonic.