Interesting Lip Facts: 11-20
11. Humans possess a fleshy bump on their upper lips. This is known as the ‘labia tubercle’.
12. Did you know that the junction where mouth’s surrounding skin meets the lips is known as Vermilion Border? The Vermilion Border of the upper lip goes by a separate name which is known as Cupid’s bow.
13. Stuart Brody, a Scottish psychologist, found that women with prominent labia tubercle are more capable of achieving vaginal orgasm!
14. Have you ever imagined kissing without lips? That’s literally impossible but, more interesting is the fact that kissing has a more important function of selecting a mate. Scientists say that lip locking allows people to sniff the pheromones of the opposite sex allowing an exchange of biological information (that mostly we don’t really understand and are perhaps processed in the background by the brain).
15. Did you know that the primary reason for the lips and mouth of women being veiled in many cultures is that they have a representative association with vulva and also because their mouth and lips act as secondary sexual organs?
16. Texas-based anthropologist named Dr. Vaughn Bryant says that before the conquests of the 1500’s kissing was actually extremely restricted in Europe and Southeast Asia. According to Dr. Bryant, no one the entire new world kissed. He says that it was India where kissing started and then it was spread by Alexander the Great’s soldiers who carried the kissing custom to their home.
17. Sociologists from France conducted a study where it was found that women with redder lips become more attractive to males. They found that waitresses wearing red lipsticks received more tips from men than those waitresses who did not wear red lipsticks. Reason for this? According to experts, red lipsticks make women’s lips look similar to labia of vagina!
18. Lips are mediums for expressing emotions visually. For instance, a frown is represented by the lips in form of a down-open parabolic curve while a smile is represented by an up-open parabolic curve. Similarly, if lips are made perky, it means provocative while lips made pouty means whining.
19. A woman’s fertility is visually expressed by her lips! Research says that during development and puberty, the hormonal makeup in women determine their sexual and facial attractiveness. Studies suggest that the youthful and childlike facial structure of women during puberty and final stages of maturation are determined by the estrogen levels in women. The greater the level of this hormone, the fuller are the lips and bigger are the eyes which are considered to be more feminine.
20. Because of numerous nerve ending they possess, lips are extremely sensitive to touch or tactile senses. This is why toddlers and babies tend to explore new things by touching them with lips.
Image Credits: 1