Marine biodiversity is far richer than what we encounter on land. One typical example with be Octopuses. There are several species of octopuses that can be found on planet Earth. Let us today learn 20 interesting Atlantic Pygmy Octopus facts and learn about their habitat, lifestyle and eating habits.
Atlantic Pygmy Octopus Facts: 1-10
1. Atlantic Pygmy Octopus (biological name: Octopus joubini) is THE SMALLEST species of octopus to live on this planet. It also goes by the name small-egg Caribbean Pygmy Octopus.
2. The maximum size they can attain after reaching adulthood is 5.3 inches. Of this total length, their arms take up 3.5 inches and the remaining goes to their mantle.
3. The weight of a fully grown adult Atlantic Pygmy Octopus is slightly more than 1 ounce.
4. Their camouflage capabilities are extreme and can change colors. Yes, changing color is their primary mode of camouflage.
5. Barring their camouflage capabilities they are usually whitish and have brown spots on their bodies.
6. Their common habitat is Cayman Islands and they prefer warm water temperature.
7. They aren’t really great fans of pollution and usually avoid places that are heavily polluted. They can survive pretty well in fresh water too! Because of their repulsive attitude toward pollution, their natural habitat is gradually decreasing, thanks to us humans!
8. Atlantic Pygmy Octopuses are capable of defeating humans in a hide and seek game. They are too good when it comes to hiding. Thousands of them may be present at a place at a time but will simply go unnoticed because they will hide inside different objects or in crevices or use their camouflage abilities to blend into their surroundings.
9. The typical hiding places of these octopuses include clam shells, tin cans, bottles and other debris that can be found at the bottom of water. Once they get inside those hiding areas, they typically pull some sand around the entrance to make sure that they stay properly hidden.
10. Atlantic Pygmy Octopuses are extremely intelligent. They are also playful by nature.