Our Earth is mysterious but if there is anything that can beat our Earth in terms of being mysterious, it is the vast space beyond our beloved blue orb. Of the several mysteries that await us out in the vast unknown, the Ant Nebula is one such object that grabbed our attention. We have already learned about Nebulae in general and also about the Boomerang Nebula – the coldest object in visible universe. Today, we will learn about the mysterious and mind-boggling Ant Nebula facts and find out about its location, its shape and its characteristics. Are you ready? Very well then, let’s begin…
Interesting Ant Nebula Facts: 1-5
1. Ant Nebula sits inside our Milky Way Galaxy. This makes it our neighbor. But, it is pretty far from us. It sits at a distance of 3,000 to 6,000 light years from our home planet – Earth.
2. This planetary nebula is located in the constellation named Norma.
3. The Ant Nebula is a planetary nebula and its official name is Menzel 3 or Mz3.
4. This nebula is often referred to as the Ant Nebula because it resembles a variety of garden ant.
5. This ant-like structure is reveal when a ground-based telescope is used for observing the nebula.
Interesting Ant Nebula Facts: 6-10
6. At the center of the Ant Nebula is bright dying star that is very much similar to our own Sun. This dying star is actually bleeding out material, which creates the shape of the ant.
7. On the left of the central star and on the right of the star are two nearly symmetrical lobes of gas and dust.
8. The left lobe of matter is what forms the head of the ant while the right lobe forms the thorax of the ant.
9. To make the whole thing complete, the streaming emissions from the central dying star make up the legs and thereby completing the image of the ant.
10. From tip of the head of the ant to the tip of the thorax of the ant, the distance is 1 light year.