India is a hotbed of events today in world economy. While we are more and more getting busy with our current affairs like PM Modi’s visit to Israel or a standoff between China and India at Doklam Pass, we barely take some time to learn about some incredible India facts that will make us feel proud. So, let us take some time and learn some facts about India that will surely make every Indian proud and happy or may be even sad.
Incredible India Facts: 1-5
1. World knows what Yoga can do. India is the birthplace of Yoga. Yoga was not really a fruit of priestly Vedic traditions. As a matter of fact, it emerged from Shamanism and Tantra vidyas followed by Shamas and Tantrics. It is estimated that Yoga is at least 5,000 years old.
2. India is the birthplace of 4 major world religions – Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism. Interestingly, there is no such thing called Hinduism. It is just a distorted name given by twisted brains of Europeans. The real name is Sanatana Dharma.
3. The only religion (if at all we call it a religion) that doesn’t follow a doctrine is Hinduism. Every other religion in this world has a written doctrine that calls for blind faith. People are not allowed to question and are threatened by the concept of hell. Hinduism openly encourages questioning everything – even the meaning and presence of God.
4. Out of religion, when we talk science, there is something really incredible in store for us. India is where the concepts of place value system, decimal points, zero, value of Pi, Fibonacci numbers and even atomic theory were born. Unfortunately, the West takes all the credits.
5. Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry – everything was born in India. As early as the 11 century, Sridharacharya from India used Quadratic Equations. Europe and West in general didn’t even know that something like that even existed.
Bonus facts about India:
The largest number that Indians used far back in time (as early as the Vedic periods) was 1053. The largest number the Romans and even the Greeks used was 106. As of today, the largest number in use is just 1012.
Incredible India Facts: 6-10
6. Okay now a few other types of India facts that will surprise you! For instance, Vande Mataram was the song that was supposed to become Indian National Anthem but Jana Gana Mana was chosen by Nehru just because he thought bands would find the second option easier to play than the first one.
7. India earned here Independence at midnight of 15th August, 1947. But, India isn’t the only country to get her independence that day. Liechtenstein, Bahrain, Congo and Korea are the other countries that share the same independence day with India.
8. Jana Gana Mana – the Indian National Anthem was actually composed by Rabindranath Tagore for paying homage to King George V. Now that’s shameful!
9. Cyril John Radcliff was the person who was tasked with the responsibility of drawing the border between India and Pakistan. He took the job of this bloody amputation despite the fact that he was absolutely not aware of India’s demography.
10. There is absolutely no good reason why 15th August was chosen for India’s independence. It could have been any other day. The date was chosen by Lord Mountbatten because it marked the second anniversary of Japanese surrender in World War II and Lord Mountbatten was the one who accepted Japan’s surrender in Singapore. Mountbatten was South-East Asia Command’s Supreme Allied Commander. Just because he had a special affinity for the date, he chose it.