The mighty Indian Ocean has a number of surprises hidden in it. This article on Indian Ocean facts will definitely take you by surprise if you are not already aware of the same. So, why waste time on a nice and interesting opening paragraph? Instead, let us get amazed with these fascinating facts about Indian Ocean. Let’s start…
Fascinating Indian Ocean Facts: 1-5
1. Indian Ocean is the only ocean in the world which has been named after a country.
2. Of all the countries sharing the Indian Ocean, India has the longest coastline with this ocean.
3. In terms of size, the Indian Ocean is world’s 3rd largest ocean. The two that are bigger than the Indian Ocean are Atlantic Ocean (2nd) and the Pacific Ocean (1st).
4. Of the total ocean area in this world, 1/5th is covered by Indian Ocean.
5. Of the total water that sits on this Earth, 20% is found in Indian Ocean.
You may also like: 25 Interesting Dead Sea Facts
Fascinating Indian Ocean Facts: 6-10
6. In total, 16 countries from the continent of Africa, 18 countries of the continent of Asia and 57 groups of islands are connected with this ocean.
7. The continent nation of Australia is also connected with the Indian Ocean.
8. If we go by NEWS (North East West and South), we will find Indian Ocean bordering Asia to the North, Australia to the East, Africa to the West and Antarctica to the South.
9. Actually, to the South, the Indian Ocean borders the Southern Ocean – aka – Antarctic Ocean.
10. The Indian Ocean has its northernmost point located in the Persian Gulf at equator’s 30° north.