Before we start with our list of awesome India facts, we will like to say something…
Mark Twain once said…
India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
That pretty much says everything. No matter how much the western world tries to demean India just to claim Christianity is best, the truth is that the followers of that doctrine-based religion are now realizing gradually that all they have been taught about faith and God is just a big mess. No wonder, thousands and thousands of people are now either converting to Hinduism or are simply following the Hindu way of life. And that’s not forced on them as Islam or Christianity does. That’s their choice.
Okay, we are deviating. The bottom line here is that India was always enlightened before the west was even born and India will always remain so long after the west crumbles down to dust. We Indians are proud of our nation. Good or bad, it belongs to us and we accept our bads the same way we are proud of our goods.
In this article we will look at some of the most incredibly awesome India facts (some of which will be definitely bad but awesome in their own way) and learn a little more about this incredible nation. Ready?
Awesome India Facts: 1-5
1. Let’s start with a bad one. India is often portrayed as the Rape Capital of world. That means, women in India (Indian women or women from foreign lands) are not supposed to be safe. They can be raped anytime any where. It also means, India has highest rape rate in whole world. This is what is being portrayed by the western nations to demean India. The truth is far from what is being said.
Here is a screenshot of rape statistics for 2010 from the website NationMaster.com:
And here is another screenshot from the same page:
So now it is time to tell, ‘Is India really the rape capital of world?’ We Indians protest rape in way no other country does. We come to the forefront, walk the streets and demand justice unlike the western world who just decline to show their true and ugly faces! See, we have every reason to be proud.
You May Also Like: 20 Jaw Dropping India Facts
2. The largest gathering of humans in a single place takes place in India every twelve years at the famous Kumbh Mela. In 2013, an estimated number 120 million pilgrims attended the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad with 30 million on 10th February alone! Then there is Maha Kumbh Mela that happens every 144 years and the image of pilgrim gathering was captured by Ikonos Satellite of Space Imaging.
3. After USA, India has world’s second-largest English speaking population. Guess what? 10% of Indian population makes that possible. India is poised to world’s largest English speaking nation very soon.
4. India has world’s largest vegetarian population – either by choice or because of religious reasons. Either way, India leads the world.
5. In 2014 India defeated the European Union when it comes to milk production, becoming world’s largest milk producer.
Awesome India Facts: 6-10
6. India was the first country in the world which came up with the knowledge of extracting sugar and purifying the same. Other countries received that knowledge from us.
7. India has no national language. However, English is considered as one of the several official languages acceptable in India. The other languages include Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, Manipuri, Nepali, Gujarati, Oriya, Konkani, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Marathi, Malyalam, Kannada, Assamese, Kashmiri, Sindhi and Urdu.
8. Guinness Book of World Record says that India takes 3rd rank in world when it comes to claiming new records every single year. The first one is USA and the second one is UK.
9. Though we call Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi as Father of Nation, he is not. Indian Constitution never allows giving such titles to anyone. So technically, Gandhi is not the Father of Nation. He and Nehru might be called as the architects of India but, a broken India – a legacy we are not particularly proud of.
10. Most likely people are fully unaware of this but India is a member of IIHF or International Ice Hockey Federation and there is an official Ice Hockey team from India.