Spiders are creepy and the very idea of eating them kind of gives us goosebumps. However, not every people think alike. There are many people out there who in fact consider this creepy arachnid as delicacy. Let us find out 15 interesting fried tarantula facts and find out where they are most popular.
Interesting Fried Tarantula Facts: 1-8
1. Spiders, specifically Tarantulas were not really considered delicacy until 1970s. The tradition started back in mid-1970s after Cambodia went under Khmer Rouge communist regime.
2. Extreme oppression under the regime resulted in death of 1.7 million Cambodians due to overwork, executions, poor healthcare and of course starvation.
3. It is because of this regime and extreme hunger that people looked for alternative food sources that were not restricted and the tarantula’s gained focused.
4. Cambodians have actually traditionally used tarantulas for medicines. Rarely they did use to eat these arachnids but in isolated pockets.
5. It was because Khmer Rouge regime that Tarantulas eventually became a primary food source among the Cambodians and the arachnids quickly became popular among millions of people worldwide. The popularity started somewhere in 1990s.
6. Usually, these spiders are bred in rural areas in holes on ground. When they are adult enough, the locals drag these spiders out of their nest using smoke.
7. The locals use a burning stick to smoke the nests which force the spiders out of their nests. The spiders are then captured by the locals.
8. Sometimes, the locals are bit by the tarantulas. Though their bites are not poisonous and does not kill people, they do manage to give a hell lot of pain.